Friday, February 14, 2014

Necessity Spurs for Change ~ 窮則思變


BBS production line
I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
~ Thomas Jefferson


Yes! the Ranchu fries survived the Lunar New Year long weekend without any daphnia. Though I had started using Baby Brine Shrimp (BBS) last year, this is the first year that I attempted feeding BBS exclusively to my Ranchu fries. The truth is, I had no choice as there was no daphnia supply for a few days.  

The fries fed exclusively with BBS had grown significantly enough to complete their first few major cullings since the Lunar New Year. At this juncture, I am happy to have allayed the long term worry about not getting anymore supply of daphnia in future when farmlands in Malaysia give way to urbanization.


Spawn A
Spawn date: 11 Jan 2014
Video date: 13 Feb 2014


From now, I will continue to use the BBS to supplement the erratic supply of daphnia and fine tune on the BBS hatchery. Hopefully one day, I do not have to depend on the daphnia to feed goldfish fries anymore. 

BBS feasting for Spawn E
This is the first year that I managed to spawn all the female Ranchus that I planned to breed, which means that it will be a litmus test on my Ranchu bloodline that I have maintained for a decade. I am really excited to see the potential of the bloodline this year :))

Paradoxically, as I become more relaxed and least worried of whether my Ranchus will have a good spawn, I got these big healthy spawns that I never had before. Maybe it is the weather or maybe I am just lucky to have done something correctly that I did not even realised - and this is a cause for concern because if I do not know why I failed or succeed, I would never be able to deliver consistent results. 

0 comments:

Breeding the TVR

Breeding the TVR
Breeding and maintaining a bloodline of the Japanese TVR since 2003.

Goldfish Artwork

Goldfish Artwork
Marriage of 2 of my passions - Goldfish and Art.

Creating a New Variety

Creating a New Variety
My dream of creating a new variety of goldfish in 2006 has proven to be more than just an impulsive fantasy.

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP